Thursday, September 17, 2015

What a mess I've made...

One of the great things about the internet is that I can find all kinds of information on just about anything.  People share what they are doing, and what they have learned, and I value that!  Some I don't follow of course, but some of it has saved me much money and time. I also love the various pages on Facebook - specifically Tin Can Tourists.  Great bunch of folks!  I have no idea it anyone else is doing what I am, or considering it.  Our economy has changed radically, and finding workable options is a challenge.  So I share my journey.

I moved into Gypsy almost immediately.  She spent some time in the storage lot while as I navigated matching up the towing equipment, and then a week in a shop while the kind folks there tried to reason out some repairs.  I got a better tongue jack, tow chains added (they had disappeared somewhere along the way), and some changes for a sway bar when needed.  What took a week was the lights, electronic brakes, and wheel bearings.  And I got my first lesson in vintage vs junk.  The thing to note about something older is the lack of standardization when they were built, and the perception that anything this old needs to be rebuilt.

There are three electrical systems involved in a trailer.  There is a 12 volt / direct current system inside the trailer to power those systems by battery.  There is a 120 volt / alternating current system – commonly referred to as shore power – that is similar to what you have in your home, and is plugged into when parked.  And then there is a system that runs off the tow vehicle battery to power lights, the electronic brake (with controller in the vehicle), and often recharge the battery in the trailer while the vehicle is running.  The truck I have is well equipped for towing, and has a 7 way plug for the hook up.  And there it all fell apart.

There is a wiring color code used for the 7 way that tells which wire goes where – on the truck end.  In 1971, however, that code wasn’t in place.  And over time the wiring inside the trailer has gotten damaged, severed, or co-opted by previous owners for other uses.  So until I tore the walls out they couldn’t get to the wiring inside to work.  And as I’ve already explained, I live in her (although essentially she is an aluminum tent), so walls come out bit by bit, addressing only the worst damage first.  (Who knew that would be all of the back wall?!)  So the wires for all but the running lights and electric brakes are connected outside as before.  The electric brakes are not connected.  The running lights don't work yet.  The light fixtures themselves are new.  Which of course created holes in the aluminum skin, since they don’t make lights like this anymore.
 
There was no battery (I'm sure long dead and hopefully properly disposed of), and this trailer did not have a converter in it.  The 12V and 120V systems were completely separate, and under the main bed, a delightful gaucho bed which converts back and forth from bed to couch.  (Since I am already doing the walls, I will be moving them and upgrading to a converter.  Someday in the future I long for solar panel. But I digress.)

Now the electronic brakes and wheel bearings.  Their solution was all new – with a hefty price tag that was well beyond my means.  And maybe not the right choice? To their benefit, they saw it as the only sensible thing to do on something so old.  And the clear message was that I had myself a heap of junk, although said kindly. (Of course, today I realize you probably wouldn’t take a Model T into your local Ford dealer for repairs…)  Impasse. 

So with the grandkids and large tarp (did I mention the leaks), we were off to Smithville Lake to camp. Since it rained almost non-stop while they were here, we spent a lot of time in the trailer with electronics and crayons, and visited the library almost daily.  Once they left for home, I started the cautious process of removing damaged wood, and assessing what to do next, while I pondered the axle dilemma.  I have two of them, which I have since learned means tandem.  And doubles the cost of anything I do.  But since a huge concern of mine when looking for a trailer was weight stability, I see them as a benefit.  I have seen too many fiberglass trailers laying in pieces on the side of the road in my travels.

I have since found an RV repair person who has great respect for vintage (and antique for that matter) who is a partner for this project.  A very important find for me!  And secondly, I have found a location that lets me make repairs – I owe them a huge debt for their patience!!  Short of having a friend with a driveway to park in (and city ordinances that allow it), trying to live in my home while working on it is quite a challenge.  And I’m quite sure there aren’t many people around who would want to.
 
I have a friend who constantly reminds me that our first ever conversation was about how much I wanted to find an older home – a “fixer-upper” – and remodel it.  Careful what you manifest!  Of course I always add that I didn’t expect it to have wheels.
 
But I do love my Gypsy Lilac.  Guess I need to get back to work...

No comments:

Post a Comment