Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Taming the storage monster...

One factor of downsizing is deciding what to keep and then finding a place to store it.  And then asking myself do I really need this?

The latest issue is clothes. Using what I have and space I believe I can claim, I worked out a nice way to store clothes in drawers on a shelf (currently non-existent) above my bed (also currently nonexistent) .  I can even use the plastic drawer set I am currently using to store parts for the trailer repairs.  And the way the back curves, I could probably even store a suit bag above them for my dress clothes. 

(This would free up the original not very efficient closet for other storage.  I could add wire drawers instead.  Then I would actually have a place for linens!)
 
Which led to the reality that I need to figure out a clothing strategy.  It's the old "have enough to wash laundry less often", or just have a few things you "fully utilize".  (This goes with linens too - how many towels is too many?)  And of course, just how wintery do my winter clothes need to be?  I got an image last Sunday in church of how I want to dress, and that can help me weed out some of my collection.  I realize that I did a lot of dressing for other people, and then comfort clothes when hanging around the house.  Now I want to impress me, and comfort is a large factor.  But comfort includes liking how I look in them as well.
  • I will have/need sturdy work clothes, but do I really need 8 pairs of sweatpants?  However, 5 or 6 hoodies in a variety of colors seem like a very good choice.  
  • I hate polyester, why do I have any?
  • Just how many dress clothes do I need?
  • Is it better to have more to rotate thru, or less that I replace more frequently as they wear out for the variety?
  • I have three gorgeous suits I bought when I first moved back to KC - in anticipation of working again at EPA.  I have never worn them - their have always been just a little too small - but do I keep them?
  • I have a large collection of tank tops, I wear them all the time when it's warm.  Using them to layer with is in keeping with the image I have, so putting them away for winter isn't a problem, but how many pairs of shorts should I keep in storage?  
  • I choose to have a sewing machine with me in the trailer, and to dedicate a portion of storage to quilting and such - would it make more sense to plan to make (or alter) clothes for myself rather than store them?  I guess incorporating quilts into my clothing style is a good plan too.  I really can't keep all the quilts I make with me, blankets are a huge storage hog.
I think I have been a clothes hog - and much of it has been stuff I'll "wear again someday".  On the other hand, I will keep all of my scarves, seems the better choice to create variety, and they take up very little room.  In fact, they are stored in a space I can't use for anything else right now.

Just sharing my thoughts about downsizing as a public service.  Ideas? 

No comments:

Post a Comment