Monday, May 25, 2015

Tiny House Craze

I spent a couple months with my oldest daughter and her family this winter, and while there my granddaughter and I got hooked on Tiny Houses.  It's fun and inspirational to see all the things folks have done to switch to smaller square foot living.  And there are lots of different types.  Small houses, converting small spaces into houses, building little houses on trailer bases so they can be moved.  And lots of different reasons - from financial to ethical - with fun all along the way.  I must admit the parts about getting rid of "stuff" to fit seems pretty unpleasant for me.  And I have several family members who "retired" to RV living but didn't last.  The constant organization, minimalism, and time away from family took too much of a toll, and after several years they returned to more traditional housing.

In my case, due to ongoing changes in my financial picture, I find myself contemplating a limited time dedicated to my own version of "tiny house living" - converting a mini-van into a mini-home.  Van-essa and I, along with my service dog Keifer, are preparing to embark on a 6 month long adventure along the west coast of the US.  We'll be starting from Olympic National Park in March, and ending up at San Luis Obispo the end of August.

Where to start?!
  • I have the van - paid for, and recently out of an extended visit to the car doctor to fix all the little ( and not so little) things we knew were ailing.
  • I have my own business, but it is mostly virtual, so it will travel with me.
  • I am disabled, so there are limits and accommodations that need o be built in.
Anyone who knows me realizes that the next thing to come is "the list" (with hours and hours of internet surfing for ideas).  What needs done before I go; what needs done to make traveling easier; what things that I simply take for granted every day might not be available "out there.  What records need to go with me, for instance.  What things should I take, and what would be better to acquire while traveling.  I have ideas right now what I'll need, after an extended camping trip last November.  But I may find better options and ideas while I'm traveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment