Thursday, November 25, 2010

Finding a new friend

There is a quote by Bill Wilson to the effect that if we look before we leap from a position of fear, its better to have not looked at all.

So much of what happens to us each day gets "rewritten" in the telling inside our heads; re-interpreted by our internal story-teller. That story-teller protects itself from being challenged by twisting everything that it "sees" into simply more proof of its perspective. To live differently is simply to change the story, or belief, or filter we see life with. The even stranger part about it all is that we then cling to that old belief out of fear of what else might replace it. We even tell it to others around us until they believe it too.

Finally, the most tragic part about the traumas we experience in our lives is that we lock ourselves into reliving them. We continue to damage ourselves, carrying that experience deep within us, re-interpreting everything by that "fear filter". The very person we need most to love us - ourselves - continues to re-inflict that original damage.

So my goal for this day is to find a new friend in myself that will cheer me on and give me comfort. From that place I can express the goodness I am rather than the pain I've felt.

Befriend yourself with the best you have, and let go of the fear. It's only a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment